March is Monochromatic at M4M

>> Friday, March 9, 2012

I really like the TGF Twinkle Tot series* from a little while back, but I often struggle trying to decide on what colours to use... so I decided to colour Izzy without colour this time (which ties in well with this month's M4M Monochrome challenge)... and reaching for the N Copics, I then struggled with another question - light or dark hair? 
As I couldn't decide I opted for both :-)

Here's how I did it....

For the light hair (N1, N2, N3, N4, N5, N6, N7, N8):


Step 1: Starting with the lightest shade (N1) colour in the hair (use multiliner for extra detail if needed)
Step 2: Using the next two shades (N2 and N3) colour skin blending as usual to create slight shadows
Step 3/4: Work out how many clothing sections are touching (in this case 2: the jacket and the dress). Divide the remaining shades between the clothing sections and colour appropriately.
(I coloured the jacket and hat with N4 and N5, then the dress in N6, N7 and N8).
Step 5: Touch up any sections that need to be lighter with 0.


Step 1: Starting with the two lightest shades (N1 and N2) colour in the skin blending as usual
Step 2/3/4: Work out how many clothing sections are touching (in this case 2: the jacket and the dress). Separate out the shades you intend to use for the hair. 
Divide the remaining shades between the clothing sections and colour appropriately.
(I coloured the dress and hat with N3 and N4, then the jacket and hatband in N5 and N6).
Step 5: Colour the hair with the dark shades already selected (I used N7, N8 and N9).
Step 6/7: Emphasise the details using shade jumps. 
(I used N10 for the buttons on the N5/6 jacket, and N1 for the belt on N3/4).


Mad for Markers stocks TGF rubber stamps including the latest release - be sure to check out what's on offer this month :-)

1 comments:

Trina March 9, 2012 at 2:16 PM  

Both versions look amazing!

Post a Comment

thanks for leaving us a comment :D

  © Blogger template Snowy Winter by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP